Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care is a well-established Charitable Trust, with over sixty years of service to families/whanau in our community. If you are enthusiastic, energetic and committed to making a positive difference for tamariki and their whanau then you may be interested in joining our team.
Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care is a well-established Charitable Trust which has a value driven culture, respects diversity and equity while supporting whānau in our communities. We are well established in Hawke’s Bay for over 68 years. We provide whānau centric Social Services and Early Childhood Education, providing a wide range of services and support to individuals, tamariki, rangatahi, whānau, and communities from Wairoa in the north to Dannevirke in the south.
This is a voluntary position with Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child and Family Care Trust (“Birthright HB”). The organisation supports tamariki and whānau to ensure they receive the same rights and privileges of all New Zealanders. Whānau are encouraged to develop their own strengths and with Social Work, Education, Programmes and Care Support address the personal, whānau or social needs that require support to be overcome in order to be empowered.
To contribute to governance and long-term planning for Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care Trust so that there are communication flows between the Trustees and Management and the organisation is steered toward its goals and vision. The main priorities:
- Financially sustainable and Prudent – Effective Financial Systems which are suitable for all and allow us to remain financially strong
- Effective Systems and structures – Management Structure is in place, Policies and Procedures, compliant with legislative and stakeholders’ expectations
- Fully staffed and have good staff retention and good levels of engagement
- Communication – well informed staff, Birthright community, business partners and wider HB Community
- Birthright will provide a culturally safe environment for all people supported by a passionate culturally competent team who walk alongside the whole whānau.
We are looking for a Board member who can represent the communities we support, work with Board members to set an exciting Strategic Direction, that keeps Birthright Hawke’s Bay responsive, with the positive reputation it has.
Someone with leadership, effective communication skills, a thinker with a strategic mind and most importantly can represent the community we serve.
We particularly encourage applications from Tāngata Whenua, Pasifika, Younger members of the community, Provincially based individuals.
Information required for you to apply – Please include your CV
Children’s Contact Visit Supervisors
Contact Supervisors ensure a safe and appropriate environment is maintained for a child during a contact visit between a child and a visiting parent or other family member.
We require casual supervisors who are available for work at varied times and on varied days of the week including weekends. You will be working alongside our Supervised Contact Coordinator and full training will be given.
- Responsible for children’s safety during the contact visit.
- Ensuring appropriate interactions between parent and child are facilitated and monitored vigilantly.
Skills and experience
- This work is well suited to people who have the ability to communicate effectively, deal positively with conflict, are mature and have life experience.
Knowledge and understanding of child development, attachment, and dynamics of family violence are desirable.
Benefits and perks
- Flexible work hours
- Training and Support
Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care is a well-established Charitable Trust, with over sixty years of service to families & whanau in our community.
If you are enthusiastic, energetic, and committed to making a difference for tamariki and their whanau then you may be interested in joining our team.
For more information on this role please contact our Practice Manager at or phone 06 835-2162.
Please only apply if you already live in Hawke’s Bay and are legally able to work in New Zealand.
Social Worker in Schools
Wairoa, Hawkes Bay
Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care is a well-established Charitable Trust, with over 70 years of service to families/whanau in our community. If you are enthusiastic, energetic, and committed to change and making a difference for tamariki and their whanau then you may be interested in joining our team.
We are offering an opportunity for a highly self-motivated, qualified Social Worker to join our wider energetic and supportive Social Worker in Schools team and contribute to and celebrate the positive outcomes for children and their whanau in our community.
We’re looking for a qualified New Zealand Registered Social Worker (or is eligible to apply for registration) with a strong interest in prevention and early intervention to join our supportive team. This role is varied and includes providing comprehensive social work services, home-based support, family and sexual harm interventions, and general social work strategies for families, children, and adolescents.
We are keen to hear from you if you possess the following skills:
- Competency in working with children, adolescents, and their families/whanau
- Competency in working with child protection issues
- Competency in Risk Assessment and Safety Planning
- Strong relationships skills and working within the community (Schools)
- Good self-management and time management
- Ability to get on with children, parents, and teachers
- Ability to develop group sessions, programmes, and activities
- Enthusiastic and energetic
- A full New Zealand driver’s license and use of a car for work purposes
- Knowledge and a working understanding of mental health issues
- Excellent knowledge of therapeutic models to support plans for families
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and competent computer skills
You must be eligible to work in New Zealand. Birthright is committed to the protection of children and young people and the responsibilities outlined in the Children’s Act 2014. Birthright undertakes interviews, police vetting, referee checks and risk assessment for all staff recruitment.
Birthright Hawke’s Bay Child & Family Care provides:
- Professional registration through SWRB
- Internal and External professional supervision
- Mileage allowance
- Ongoing professional development and growth
- Birthday Leave